It may not always be clear what question you need to frame the performance review around, so we prepared this research-driven list of questions. Feel free to use any of these for the next review you create.
- 🎈 What should this person start, stop and continue doing?
- 🏆 Can you summarize the greatest strengths and what this person should keep doing? Similarly, the issues they need to work on?
- 🏅 In the past 6 months, what were this person's greatest successes and biggest challenges?
- 📝 What should this person do more of, the same amount of, or less of?
- 🤔 What did this person do well in the past quarter and what should be the focus for their improvement?
- 📊 What's one thing this person did really well in the past 3 months and what you feel could be improved?
- 💡 What’s one thing you liked and one thing you thought could be have gone better about this person's performance in the past month?
- 💪 What’s one key strength you think this person has? And what’s one thing they can do to be more effective?
- 👏 What accomplishments should this person be most proud of and in which areas would you like them to improve?
- 🗣 Tell one thing this person is doing well and should continue and one thing they could improve.
- 🙌 Where is this person doing well and where do they need to grow?
- 👾 Please provide highlights and examples of the work this person did well in the last quarter, what they could have done better and what are 1-2 growth/development opportunities they should focus on in the coming quarter?
- ⭐️ What do you feel went well this year and what might have gone better about this person's work?
- 🌝 Please provide examples of how this person positively contributed in the past 3 months and where they can improve.
Historically performance reviews used to be this pile of relevant and not really relevant questions. We want to change that and keep reviews specifically an evaluation, not make it moonlight for a survey.
So check out some of our research-backed survey questions as well - surveys and reviews work best in conjunction.